Understanding Your Program Fees and Deadlines
Total Program Fees:
The total amount of fees due for your program are shown on the invoice that is included in your enrollment packet and include:
- program fees
- refundable damage deposits
- housing supplements (if any)
- technology or lab fees (if any)
Full payment of your total fee amount is needed by the Final Payment Date. You will not be considered enrolled in the program and will not be able to attend the program if your fees are not paid in full by the Final Payment Date.
If you select single or premium housing on your application, you will be invoiced for these additional fees as well. These supplemental fees are also due by the Final Payment Date.
If you do not pay by the Final Payment Date, you risk forfeiting your spot on the program and being withdrawn from the program
There is a $50 application fee. The application fee must be paid for your application to be considered. The application fee is non-refundable under any circumstances, even if you later decide you do not want to attend a program.
Your Confirmation Deposit is required to secure your place on the program.We cannot guarantee your place on the program until your Confirmation Deposit is received.
The Confirmation Deposit is $1,000 for semester programs and $250 for summer programs.
There are multiple deadlines for Confirmation Deposits for semester programs. Please see your enrollment material for the deadlines applicable to your program.
You can save as much as $500 on your total program fees if we receive your semester Confirmation Deposit before the first deadline.
Confirmation Deposits for summer programs are due upon application and are required for us to process your application.
Please note that:
- Deadlines for Confirmation Deposits reflect when we receive your deposit, not when you send it
- The Confirmation Deposits are non-refundable under any circumstances
Refundable Damage Deposit:
You are responsible for paying a refundable damage deposit of $250 per program.
This deposit will be refunded to you after the program is completed and a damage assessment has been made.
Damage to the housing, hotels, buses or other venues, unpaid balances such as overdue library books, damage or loss of cell phones, lost keys, excessive utility charges, excessive cleaning charges and other damages or charges incurred by you will be deducted from the damage deposit.
All roommates will be held equally liable for damage done to housing that cannot be assigned to a specific individual.
In the event that damages left outstanding at the end of a program exceed the Refundable Damage Deposit, we reserve the right to withhold your transcript until the outstanding damage balance has been paid.
Refundable Damage Refunds will be mailed to a US address of your choosing after all damage assessments are made. This could take between 6 and 12 weeks post-program. Refunds can only be mailed to US mailing addresses and cannot be wire-transferred.
Program Fee Changes:
Global Semesters reserves the right to change the price of any program at any time. You are responsible for paying the fees that were in effect at the time that your deposit was paid. Otherwise, you will be subject to the fees in place at the time that you make your deposit payment.
If you do not make your full payments by the Final Payment date, you may be withdrawn from the program, and/or assessed a late fee, and/or held responsible for any program costs already incurred by Global Semesters on your behalf.
If, for any reason, you incur an outstanding balance after the Final Payment date, even if you are already abroad at the time, you will be responsible for paying the outstanding balance within three weeks or you will be withdrawn from the program.
Withdrawal will include withdrawal from the host university, program housing and program activities. You will remain responsible for all program fees, will not receive a refund of your fees paid or damage deposit and will not receive a transcript.
Global Semesters reserves the right to transfer any outstanding balance to a collections agency which might cause additional charges to be assessed and might negatively impact your credit rating.
Financial Aid Confirmation Form / Deferred Payment Agreement:
Since financial aid for the Fall semester is not disbursed until September 15 and aid for Spring semester is disbursed after the semester begins, you must ask your Financial Aid office to complete the Financial Aid Confirmation Form before the Final Payment Date. This form will confirm that you have been approved for a certain amount of financial aid and is included in this packet.
You must also complete the Deferred Payment Agreement form confirming that you are responsible for ensuring that all payments are made to us in a timely manner.
You are still responsible for paying the remainder of your program fees (that are not covered by financial aid) personally before the Final Payment Date.
Rescission of Financial Aid:
In the event that your financial aid is rescinded by your home institution, you will be responsible for making the remaining payments personally. If you cannot make the payments within three weeks of when the financial aid would have otherwise been disbursed to us, you will be withdrawn from the program, including the host university, program housing and program activities. You will remain responsible for all program fees, will not receive a refund of your fees paid or damage deposit and will not receive a transcript.
Private Education Loan:
If you apply to a third-party (private) education loan provider, you must ensure that your loan disburses early enough so that you can disburse the funds to us before the Final Payment Deadline.
Withdrawal and Refund Policy:
- The Final Withdrawal Date is the same as the Final Payment Date.
- The application fee ($50) and confirmation deposit ($1,000 for semester programs, $250 for summer programs) are non-refundable under any circumstances.
- If you withdraw from a program before the Final Withdrawal Date, all program fees paid, with the exception of the application fee ($50) and confirmation deposit ($1,000 for semester programs, $250 for summer programs), will be refunded and you will have no further liability to Global Semesters
- If you have not withdrawn by Final Withdrawal Date, you will be held responsible for all remaining program fees, whether or not you ultimately attend the program or not.
- All withdrawal requests must be made in writing by letter, fax or e-mail. Verbal requests are not acceptable. We will confirm your withdrawal request by e-mail
- No refunds will be made in the following circumstances:
- You are asked to leave the program due to disciplinary or academic issues
- You voluntarily withdraw from the program after your arrival in the host country
- You do not have a valid passport or appropriate visas to attend the specific program that you are participating in
- You are not present for group flights, group travel, program orientation or other important program events.
- We make every effort to deliver our programs as we have described them. At times, however, changing circumstances might make it necessary or advisable to make changes to elements of the program, including but not limited to, itineraries and excursions, staffing, housing or course options. Course availability cannot be guaranteed by Global Semesters under any circumstances, as host institutions might change their course offerings. No refund will be paid for changes in program operations assuming that Global Semesters provides arrangements that are, in Global Semesters' sole judgment, similar to those originally described.
- Global Semesters will not be responsible for extreme events not under our reasonable control such as acts of God, war, riots, civil unrest, flood, earthquakes, outbreaks of disease, natural disasters and other events that might cause us to cancel or modify an in-progress program at our discretion. Global Semesters will not be liable in such circumstances for failure or delay in providing any contracted services and will not refund program fees or other expenses incurred by program participants.
- You can change between programs in the same term without penalty before the Final Withdrawal Date, assuming that there is availability in the program that you are changing into. You will be responsible for paying any difference in fees if the program you are transferring into has higher program fees than the program that you are transferring from.
- After the Final Withdrawal Date, you can change between programs in the same term under the following conditions:
- We approve the change
- You pay a $200 administrative charge
- There is capacity in the program that you would like to transfer to
- You will be responsible for paying any difference in fees if the program you are transferring into has higher program fees than the program that you are transferring from. You may also have to pay additional fees that might be incurred by us due to your late enrollment in the new program
- You will not receive a refund for the difference in fees if the program that you are changing into has lower program fees than the program that you are transferring from.
These fees are applicable each time you make a program change. You are responsible for making any arrangements needed with your home institution and your financial aid office (if applicable) to notify them of the change in program.
You can pay your confirmation deposit and balance of payment by check or wire transfer.
Please make checks payable to Global Learning Semesters, Inc.
Checks should be mailed to:
By Wire Transfer:
Please call us at (212) 321-0921 x1 for information on how to send your fees by wire transfer.