Florence University of the Arts
The Florence University of the Arts (FUA) is a fine arts and humanities institution that seeks to redefine the study of the arts by pushing students to go beyond simply contemplating art, in order to become involved by both creating and comprehending all arts through a variety of study disciplines. Florence University of the Arts is a palette of communities, nationalities, projects, and studies that mingle and color the cultural landscape of Florence with innovative approaches to the arts.
Its 8 Schools are located throughout the historic center of Florence, in historical palaces fully up-to-date with state-of-the-arts equipment and facilities. These are:
- Apicius International School of Hospitality
- DIVA School of Digital Imaging and Visual Arts
- FAST School of Fashion Accessories Studies and Technology
- IDEAS School of Interior Design, Environmental Architecture and Sustainability
- SQUOLA Center for Contemporary Italian Studies
- School of Arts and Sciences
- School of Business
- School of Journalism, Communications and Publishing
FUA offers rich and stimulating courses and programs, taught by international faculty spanning all areas of the fine arts, liberal arts, and humanities. It further offers opportunities for student exposure though art shows and exhibitions, cultural integration projects, and service learning positions in the art world. FUA encompasses the following 'In the Community' members for cultural integration:
- GANZO Cultural and Eno-Gastronomic Association operated by Apicius culinary students and faculty
- FEDORA pastry shop operated by Apicius baking and pastry students and faculty
- F_AIR, Florence Artist in Residence program at FUA's School of Fine Arts
- FLY - Fashion Loves You - vintage and emerging designers store operated by FAST students and faculty
- INGORDA publishing house for FUA publishing projects
FUA is accredited by the Region of Tuscany, as delegated by the Ministry of Education (Accreditation number FI 0229). The Italian accreditation system has established since 2005 that the central government delegates to the regional government bodies the implementation of control, and the acknowledgment of academic institutions in accordance to the Italian law.
FUA collaborates with many institutions for the direct transfer of credits. For students from non-affiliated institutions, US credit can be issued through FUA's School of Record. Adhering to the guidelines of the Forum on Education Abroad, the University of South Florida serves as the School of Record for FUA.
FUA is also reviewed annually for European quality certification by IMQ S.p.A. - UNI ENI ISO 9001:2008 Cert. N. 9175 FLRU.
Host City Description
The landscape, the food, the colors, the architecture, and definitely the people are so distinctively alive and unique that make you feel special! Italy has numerous magnificent cities, but one of the most interesting and unique is Florence - our host location.
Florence, host to several of our Italy study abroad programs, is a lively and culturally-rich city in the province of Tuscany. This eclectic metropolis is an ideal location for students to study arts, improve their Italian language skills, immerse themselves in the stylistic Florentine lifestyle, and explore the Italian peninsula.